GRILLED HERBED LAMB GYROS
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 sprigs chopped fresh rosemary leaves. (rub down the length of the stem to remove leaves. Discard stem)
- 2 tbsps dried oregano (fresh is not better in this case!)
- 8 8 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- the zest of 1/2 lemon
- the juice of 2 lemons, or 1 cup of fresh lemon juice sold in the plastic lemon in supermarkets.
- 1 tbsp course salt
- 1 tbsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 One butterflied leg of lamb (ask your butcher to do this for you and have them remove tough membranes and fat).
Combine first 11 ingredients. Rub well into both sides of lamb. Place lamb in large zip-type storage bag or leave in bowl covered. Place into refrigerator for at least 2 days and up to 3. Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking to allow lamb to come to room temperature. Wipe off most herb mixture, reserving marinade for basting. Roast lamb over coals or low gas grill heat covered for 20 minutes, basting and turning after 10 minutes. Remove cover and baste and grill another 10 minutes (5 minutes each side) or until lamb is cooked medium - medium rare. Remove to platter, tent with foil and let lamb rest for at least 15 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain. Place in pita bread warmed quickly on the grill . Top with tzatziki