Roast beetroot and goat's cheese risotto with thyme dressing
February 14, 2017
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsps chopped thyme leaves
- 3 (about 500g) beetroot
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 300g arborio risotto rice
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 60g unsalted butter
- 1 120g soft goat's cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with foil.
- Whisk lemon zest and juice, 2 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon thyme, season and set aside.
- Wrap the beetroot in foil and roast for 45 minutes or until just tender. Cool, then peel and chop. Place beetroot on tray, then drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and roast for a further 15 minutes or until starting to caramelise.
- Whiz half the beetroot with 400ml stock until a smooth puree. Pass through a sieve into a saucepan with remaining stock. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, then reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium-low heat, then add onion, garlic and remaining 1 tablespoon thyme and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add rice and cook for 2 minutes, stirring to coat the grains. Add wine and simmer until evaporated. Add beetroot stock, a ladleful at a time, allowing each to be absorbed before adding the next. Continue, stirring constantly, for 20 minutes or until the rice is al dente (you may not need all the stock). Remove from heat and stir in butter and remaining roasted beetroot.
- Serve risotto scattered with goat's cheese and drizzled with thyme dressing.