Zucchini Soufflé with Baked Goat Cheese and Pancetta Cream
June 10, 2015
- 7 tbsps unsalted butter
- 6 1/2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsps corn flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups zucchini, finely grated, plus 12 thick strips for garnish
- 3 free-range egg yolks
- 3 1/2 ozs goat cheese, plus 6 ¼-inch thick rounds
- 1 3/4 chives, snipped
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 5 free-range egg whites
- 1 tbsp finely minced shallots
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 6 zucchini flowers, optional, for garnish
- 10 ozs pancetta lardons
- 1 1/2 cups shallots, finely diced
- 1 red chili, finely diced
- 2 1/2 tsps sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps ground sea salt
- 2 tsps white pepper
- 3 cups plus 2¾ tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat an oven to 250°F. Cook the butter and flours together in a saucepan over medium heat to form a roux. Add the milk slowly while whisking continuously until the sauce thickens.
- In a medium non-stick pan, cook the grated zucchini over medium-high heat until all the moisture has evaporated completely. Move the zucchini to a medium-size bowl, and mix with the egg yolks. Incorporate the zucchini mixture as well as the 3½ ounces of goat cheese into the white sauce, and allow to cool.
- In a stand mixer or medium-size bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks and fold into the zucchini mixture very gently. Divide the mixture into 6 greased 3-inch- round ramekins. Bake until golden, about 1 hour.
- While the soufflés are baking, make the pancetta cream sauce. Sauté the pancetta in a medium skillet until golden brown and crispy; remove and drain on a paper towel. In the same skillet, sauté the shallots and chili on low heat until soft and translucent. Add the sugar, salt, pepper and cream, and cook until reduced by half. Add the reserved pancetta, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Place a soufflé in an oven-proof bowl and top with a ladle of cream sauce and a round of goat cheese. Bake at 360°F until the cheese turns golden brown and the sauce is bubbling, about 10 minutes. Preheat a grill to high, and grill the zucchini strips to mark. Garnish each soufflé with 2 grilled zucchini strips, 3 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley and an optional zucchini flower, and serve immediately. Serves 6.