Grilled Salmon with Teriyaki Shiitake
September 1, 2015
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sake
- 2 1/2 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tsps light brown sugar
- 2 tsps Asian sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 3/4 lb shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and caps thickly sliced
- 4 6-ounce skinless salmon fillets
- 1 tbsp snipped chives
- Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, whisk the sake with the soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil. In a large nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the canola oil. Add the shiitake and cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in spots and tender, about 8 minutes. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the sake mixture and cook, stirring, until the skillet is dry and the mushrooms are glazed, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- Wipe out the skillet and heat the remaining 1 teaspoon of canola oil. Add the salmon fillets and cook over high heat, turning once, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Spoon off any fat in the skillet. Remove the skillet from the heat, add the reserved 1 tablespoon of the sake mixture and turn the fillets to coat.
- Broil the salmon until the top is golden, lightly glazed and just cooked through, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Transfer the salmon to plates and top with the mushrooms. Sprinkle with the snipped chives and serve.